Wednesday, October 3, 2012

7.1.5 My Girls' Clothes

7 Experiment
1st Month
5th Post

Yes, I know it is October and technically the 2nd month, but I am behind.  Big shocker.  I'm having a hard time with all this new information.  These new ideas flying around in my head.  Raging against materialism in my life is more difficult than I ever thought possible.

"This is hard to process, so it helps to imagine standing in front of my Ethiopian children, who were too poor and sick to raise their own beloved babies. As I gaze upon their hopelessness, I imagine them calculating what I've spent on clothing alone, realizing that same amount would've kept their family fed and healthy for thirty years."  7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker

I re-read this quote from the book and was pushed once more to take another step - my girls' clothes.  I am not going to have them participate in every month, but I want them to do as much of it with me as possible.

Children are amazing.  They are naturally compassionate.  They love giving and serving.  When is this valuable skill unlearned?  I never want it to leave my kids.  Practicing constant, consistent giving is one way to teach children to hold their possessions loosely.

They had an insane amount of clothes.  Many of which have never been on their bodies.  If your children are anything like mine, they have a very small rotation of favorite clothes they wear.

Now there are piles of clothes in my garage.  Piles.

Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment