Monday, November 7, 2016

Building a Family: Part 5

The following is a repost of what I wrote the day before our Hope Child left.  We were so glad to know she was going to family, but we were heartbroken at the thought of not knowing her as a sister.  We were a muddled mess of emotions.

 

Monday, August 12, 2013

Hope Child

She came to us with almost nothing.  A few dirty clothes.  One small blanket.

No one wanted her.  We wanted her.

And now, after almost a month, she is leaving us.  A family member has been found.  I thought I would be devastated, but I have such a peace about this.  She will grow up with cousins and aunts.  People who can tell her stories about her grandmother.  Sing her the lullabies of their family.

We know God is sovereign in Hope Child's life.  He knew our home was where she needed to be for this season of her life.  We trust He still is in control of her little life.

But tomorrow is going to be hard.  Isn't that the way loving usually is?

Abby-Momma loved her right from the start.  Our natural nurturer jumped in head first showering this neglected child with more attention than she had probably been shown her entire life.

Susannah...well let's just say there was a bit of a territorial battle.  We prayed for love to come.  And boy, did it ever come.  One day out of the blue, she gave Hope Child one of her Hugsies.  I cannot convey to you the depth of love that means for this small fireball.

These are our three girls.  Soon to be two.  Pray for them tomorrow.


When Hope Child came to us, Patrick was away at youth camp.  Oh, how he wished he could have been here.  When he did finally meet her, I think it was love at first sight.

What could be sweeter than a daddy with his little girl?  Hope Child had never had that as a constant in her life.  She thrived under his love.  Running to him.  Hugging him.  Begging him to, "fly a fairy."

She called Patrick "Daddy" last week.  Pray for him tomorrow.


And me?  I have no ability to love half-heartedly.  Hope has stolen my heart.  I don't think I will ever be the same after tomorrow. 

Pray for me tomorrow as I say goodbye.  As I comfort my family.


She came to us with almost nothing, but she is leaving with so much.  No one wanted her.  We wanted her.  But most importantly, Jesus wanted her.  We gave her a picture of our family and the Jesus Storybook Bible.

We fully believe God has great things for this Hope Child.  Tomorrow we plan to pray with her family when we give her to them.  Pray for her family tomorrow.

I know tomorrow is going to be hard, but love is hard.  And this love is what God has called us to.  It is what God has called us all to...

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress..."  James 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment